Both the Instant Pot Duo Crisp and Pro Crisp are great models. They are similar in a lot of ways but there are some crucial differences. Find out everything you need to compare the Instant Pot Pro Crisp vs Duo Crisp so you can decide which one is right for you.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read the disclosure.
Table of Contents
The Instant Pot is one of the most popular kitchen appliances that have come around in years. It seems like everyone has one. The Instant Pot Duo was one of the first models to be introduced and it’s also the most popular model. It was my first Instant Pot.
Until recently, Instant Pot cooking was limited to certain types of recipes, and crisping up or baking foods was out of the question. The introduction of the air fryer lid has been a game-changer.
You can purchase the air fryer lid as an accessory that can be used with certain models of Instant Pot. At this time, this accessory is only available for the 6-quart size of these models.
Maybe you’ve finally decided to buy an Instant Pot or you just want to get a second one but are having trouble deciding between the Instant Pot Duo Crisp v Pro Crisp. Which model should you buy? Let’s compare the two in the sections below.
The Instant Pot Duo Crisp is a pressure cooker and an air fryer. It was the first model to be introduced with the air fryer functionality built in. Refer to my comprehensive Duo Crisp user guide for details. Here are some highlights of this model:
Duo Crisp Features Summary
- The display panel has only buttons and no knob.
- Temperature and cooking time can be adjusted with dedicated buttons.
- To turn on the Instant Pot, press Start.
- The stainless steel inner pot is the same as on the Instant Pot Duo, Ultra, and Duo Nova.
- The inner pot doesn’t have any handles and the bottom is slightly raised in the middle, which allows the pressure sensors to detect when the Instant Pot is pressurized.
Pressure Cooker Lid:
- The pressure cooker lid on the Duo Crisp is similar to the Ultra and Duo Nova.
- You release steam by pressing a button.
- The lid also auto-seals i.e. you don’t need to turn the knob from Venting to Sealing position as with some older models of Instant Pot.
Air Fryer Lid:
- The air fryer lid is slightly taller than the air fryer lid on the Instant Pot Pro Crisp, but it’s also slightly lighter.
- The maximum air fry temperature is 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The Duo Crisp comes with an air fryer basket, a protective pad, and a trivet.
Like the Duo Crisp, the Pro Crisp is also a pressure cooker and air fryer. It has a few extra features that distinguish it from the Duo Crisp. I’ll compare the two models further below. Here are some highlights:
Pro Crisp Features Summary
- It comes in the 8 quart size only.
- It has a sleek black profile and the display panel is very similar to the Instant Pot Pro and the now-discontinued Instant Pot Duo Evo Plus.
- You use buttons and a knob to program the time and temperature.
- The display panel has a status bar which tells you what stage of pressure cooking it’s in i.e. Preheating, Cooking or Keep Warm mode.
- It also has icons that tell you whether it’s in pressure cooking mode or air fryer mode, whether sound is on and if the Delay Start feature is enabled.
- To turn on the Instant Pot, you press Start.
- The stainless steel inner pot is the same as on Instant Pot Pro.
- The inner pot has silicone handles and the bottom is flat.
- This inner pot cannot be used in other models of Instant Pot except those with handles, such as the Pro.
Pressure Cooker Lid:
- The pressure cooker lid on the Pro Crisp is similar to the Instant Pot Pro lid.
- You release steam by moving a switch.
- The lid also auto-seals i.e. you don’t need to turn the knob to the Sealing position as with some older models of Instant Pot.
- The steam release mechanism has a diffuser cover that allows the steam to be released in a gentler (and less scary!) way.
- The lid has a space where you can place a QuickCool tray accessory filled with ice to quickly release pressure by cooling the Instant Pot faster after pressure cooking.
Air Fryer Lid:
- The Pro Crisp air fryer lid is slightly heavier than the Duo Crisp lid.
- The maximum air fry temperature is 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- The Pro Crisp comes with an air fryer basket, a protective pad, and a trivet.
Smart Programs Comparison
Every Instant Pot has smart programs that allow you to perform a cooking function with the press of a button. The Duo Crisp and the Pro Crisp have all the same smart programs.
|SMART PROGRAMS||DUO CRISP||PRO CRISP|
|Non air frying|
|– Pressure Cook||✔||✔|
|– Slow Cook||✔||✔|
|– Sous Vide||✔||✔|
|– Air Fry||✔||✔|
There are many similarities between the two models but also some important differences. Most of the differences have to do with pressure cooking features.
|FEATURES||DUO CRISP||PRO CRISP|
|Easy Seal with Button||✔|
|Easy Seal with Switch||✔|
|Diffused Steam Release||✔|
|Inner Pot With Handles||✔|
|Air Fry Temperature||105 to 400° F||70 to 450° F|
The Duo Crisp comes in two sizes and the Pro Crisp comes in just the 8 quart size. The specs are very similar between the two 8 quarts, but the Pro Crisp is heavier by about 4 lbs.
|Heating Element||1500 watts||1500 watts||1500 watts|
|Voltage||120 V | 60 Hz||120 V | 60 Hz||120 V | 60 Hz|
|Pressure Level||High Pressure|
(10.2 – 11.6 psi)
(5.8 – 7.2 psi)
(10.2 – 11.6 psi)
(5.8 – 7.2 psi)
(9.4 – 12.3 psi)
(5.0 – 8.0 psi)
(with Pressure Cooker Lid)
|13.58 L × 13.58 W × 12.99 H||14.76 L × 13.58 W × 14.17 H||14.78 L × 14.24 W × 14.17|
(with Air Fryer Lid)
|13.58 L × 13.58 W × 13.97 H||14.76 L × 13.58 W × 15.28 H||14.78 L × 14.24 W × 15.35|
|Weight||19.62 lbs||22.18||26.2 lbs|
Which Model is Better?
If you take price out of the equation, the Instant Pot Pro Crisp is definitely the better pick. But in the real world, price is always a consideration! If you can get a Pro Crisp at a price comparable to the Duo Crisp price, go for it!
Here are the reasons why you’d want to buy one model over the other:
- You don’t care about cost or you can get it at a good sale price that’s similar to that of the Duo Crisp.
- You’ll be pressure cooking more than air frying. The plus points of the Pro Crisp primarily apply to pressure cooking.
- You already own a Duo Evo Plus or Pro model – you can use the inner pots interchangably.
- You don’t want to get an 8 quart due to the bulkiness and prefer the smaller size of the 6 quart, which the Pro Crisp does not currently carry.
- You’ll be air frying more than pressure cooking. The plus points of the Pro Crisp primarily apply to pressure cooking.