Finally, a solution to hard-to-peel or overcooked eggs. Making Instant Pot hard boiled eggs is a fool-proof way to get easy-to-peel perfectly cooked eggs.
How do you make perfectly cooked, easy-to-peel hard boiled eggs? You’d think it would be easy enough. After all, they’re just eggs, for Pete’s sake. But let me tell you, I have the hardest time cooking hard boiled eggs that peel easily. I always have pieces of egg coming off in bits and pieces when I peel them. I’ve tried all kinds of tips and tricks including adding baking soda or vinegar to the water, putting cold eggs in boiling water, using an ice bath after boiling….. It’s exhausting, for something that should be simple, right?! So today I’m sharing my newly discovered secret to perfect eggs: Instant Pot eggs. Okay, I have to tell you I didn’t figure this out myself. I read this post on Pressure Cooker Easy Hard Boiled Eggs by This Old Gal. It’s easy and uncomplicated. I modified her method by releasing the pressure after 15 minutes. That’s it. But here’s the best part. The shell just comes off, like butter. So so easy! No formulas, no ice baths.
If you’re new to the Instant Pot and aren’t familiar with how to use it, do try and read the Instant Pot How To blog post first and then come back here to learn how to make Instant Pot hard boiled eggs.
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs Instructions
- Add 2 cups of water to inner pot of Instant Pot.
- Place trivet or steamer basket in the Instant Pot.
- Carefully place eggs on trivet or steamer basket.
- Close the Instant Pot.
- Make sure the steam release handle is in the ‘Sealing’ position.
- Press ‘Manual’ and ‘+’ or ‘-‘ until the display reads ‘2’.
- The Instant Pot display will change to ‘On’.
- Once the Instant Pot is pressurized and the float valve is up, the display will count down from 2 to 0.
- The display will read ‘L000’ and start to count up in ‘Keep Warm’ mode.
- Wait till the count-up timer reads L0:15 (15 minutes.)
- Move the steam release handle to ‘Venting’. I like to place a folded towel over the steam release handle and move it to the venting position.
- When your Instant Pot is depressurized, the float valve will be in the down position.
- It’s now safe to open the Instant Pot. (Press ‘Keep Warm/Cancel’ to turn off Instant Pot.)
- Your Instant Pot eggs should be perfectly cooked.
- Remove eggs from Instant Pot and place them in a bowl of water to cool, or allow to cool naturally.
- Once eggs are cool enough to handle, peel them. I refuse to show a photograph of me peeling the eggs because my hands look awful, especially in the winter (I need a hand model!) But trust me, these Instant Pot eggs peeled so easily!
Instant Pot Hard Boiled Eggs
Yield 6 eggs
Instant Pot eggs are perfectly cooked and easy to peel. No more messing up hard boiled eggs either by over or under cooking or breaking apart while peeling!
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups water
- Add 2 cups water to main compartment (inner pot) of Instant Pot and place trivet in the Instant Pot.
- Place eggs on trivet and close Instant Pot; The steam release handle should be in the ‘Sealing’ position.
- Cook eggs on 'Manual' mode for 2 minutes.
- Allow eggs to stay in 'Keep Warm' mode for 15 minutes. Release steam manually to depressurize Instant Pot.
- Open Instant Pot and remove eggs; place them in a bowl of water to cool, or allow to cool naturally.
- Once eggs are cool enough to handle, peel them.
Courses Side Dish
Cuisine Instant Pot
Serving Size 1 egg
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 5 g
Saturated Fat 1.6 g
Unsaturated Fat 2.7 g
Cholesterol 187 mg
Sodium 62 mg
Total Carbohydrates 0.6 g
Sugars 0.6 g
Protein 6 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
I am not a certified nutritionist. I provide my best estimate of nutritional information merely as a courtesy to my readers. If you depend on nutritional information for dietary or health reasons, I suggest using your favorite online nutrition calculator to confirm the nutritional value of this recipe based on the actual ingredients that you use.