Instant Pot Jasmine Rice is the perfect complement to Thai curries. This recipe gives you perfectly cooked fragrant Jasmine rice every time, quick and easy. You’ll never go back to long grain rice with Thai food! This recipe can also be cooked using the Pot in Pot method.
I have a Jasmine rice addict in my house. My daughter loves rice, but especially Jasmine rice and will eat it plain, with no salt, nothing on it. So if I make a Thai curry, she’ll first eat the Jasmine rice and curry and then go back for seconds of just plain rice! Soooo, I make a LOT of Jasmine rice in the Instant Pot.
There are two ways to make Jasmine rice in the Instant Pot. One is the pot-in-pot method, where you pour water into the inner pot, have a separate bowl in which you put rice and water, and place that on a trivet in the inner pot. The second method of cooking Instant Pot rice is to cook it directly in the inner pot.
I have already posted a recipe for Instant Pot Rice using the Pot-in-Pot (PIP) method for Basmati rice. I really like the pot-in-pot method for cooking Jasmine rice in the Instant Pot, because it’s easier to clean up.
I can store the rice in the same dish that I cook it in, and I don’t have a messy inner pot to clean. The disadvantage is that I can’t make a larger quantity of rice (more than about 2 cups uncooked rice in my 6 quart) because of the size of the Pyrex glass bowl I use.
Tips and Substitutions
You can use the pot-in-pot method to cook a smaller quantity of Jasmine rice, but use the ratios and timings from this recipe (Rice:Water = 1:1.25 and cook on ‘Manual’ (or ‘Pressure Cook’) setting for 4 minutes.)
This Jasmine rice Instant Pot recipe is for 3 cups of uncooked rice and makes about 9 cups cooked rice; perfect Jasmine rice every time. You can adjust the quantities, but keep the same cooking time and keep the rice to water ratio of 1:1.25.
Be sure to use the same cup for measuring both rice and water. Once you make it once, you can adjust the quantity of water and time to suit your tastes. * Do not overfill your pot with rice, i.e. past the 1/2 mark.
|Rice (cups)||Water (cups)|
|2 1/2||3 1/8|
|3 1/2||4 1/3|
Click Below to Check out all my Thai Recipes!
[Also Read: Easy Chinese-Style Instant Pot Fried Rice made with Jasmine rice]
If you’re new to the Instant Pot and aren’t familiar with how to use it, please read the Instant Pot DUO Beginner’s Quick Start Guide or the Instant Pot ULTRA Beginner’s Quick Start Guide first and then come back here to learn how to cook perfect Jasmine Rice in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Jasmine Rice Ingredients
How to Cook Instant Pot Jasmine Rice (Step by Step Instructions)
- Rinse out 3 cups of Jasmine rice in a fine mesh sieve.
- Transfer rice from sieve to Instant Pot inner pot.
- Add 3-3/4 cups of water to the inner pot.
- Close the Instant Pot.
- Make sure the steam release handle is in the ‘Sealing’ position.
- Press ‘Manual’ (or ‘Pressure Cook’) and ‘+’ or ‘-‘ until the display reads ‘4’.
- Instant Pot display will change to ‘On’.
- Once the Instant Pot is pressurized and the float valve is up, display will count down from 4 to 0.
- When cooking is complete, the display will read ‘L0:00’ and start to count up.
- Wait till the count-up timer reads L0:10 (10 minutes.)
- You can also just let the pressure drop on its own and let pot stay in ‘Keep Warm’ mode until you are ready to serve the Jasmine rice.
- Move the steam release handle to ‘Venting’. I like to place a folded towel over the steam release handle and move it to the venting position. Remove the towel after turning the knob.
- When your Instant Pot is depressurized, the float valve will be in the down position.
- Press ‘Cancel’ and open the Instant Pot.
- Fluff Jasmine Rice in the Instant Pot with a fork and serve with your favorite curry. Try this Instant Pot Thai Red Curry, Instant Pot Thai Green Curry, or Instant Pot Massaman Curry – they’re all so easy and absolutely delicious!
Fragrant Instant Pot Jasmine Rice
A step by step guide that shows you how to make Instant Pot Jasmine Rice. This recipe gives you perfectly cooked Jasmine rice every time, quick and easy.
- 3 cups Jasmine rice
- 3 3/4 cups water
Rinse out Jasmine rice in a fine mesh sieve and drain.
Place rice and water in Instant Pot inner pot. Stir to combine.
Cook on ‘Manual’ (or 'Pressure Cook') mode for 4 minutes. Make sure steam release handle is in the 'Sealing' position.
Let the rice stay in ‘Keep Warm’ mode for 10 minutes after cooking is complete.
Open Instant Pot and fluff rice with fork before serving.
- To use the pot-in-pot method (See Instant Pot Pot-in-Pot Method) and cook a smaller quantity of Jasmine rice, just use the ratios and timings in this recipe (Rice:Water – 1:1.25 and cook on ‘Manual’ or 'Pressure Cook' setting for 4 minutes.)
- To adjust the quantities, keep the rice to water ratio of 1:1.25.
- Be sure to use the same cup for measuring both rice and water.
* Do not overfill your pot with rice, i.e. past 1/2.
I am not a certified nutritionist. I provide my best estimate of nutritional information merely as a courtesy to my readers. If you depend on nutritional information for dietary or health reasons, I suggest using your favorite online nutrition calculator to confirm the nutritional value of this recipe based on the actual ingredients that you use.
If you loved this recipe, please give it a 5 Star rating in the comment section below and please share it on social media using the social media share buttons at the top and bottom of this post. Thank you so much!
You might also like to try:
|Instant Pot Thai Red Curry||Instant Pot Basmati Rice Pot in Pot||Secrets to Pot in Pot Cooking|