Air fryer frozen popcorn chicken cooks up crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Make frozen popcorn chicken in the air fryer in less time than it takes to bake them in the oven or deep-fry them. You can use a traditional air fryer or an Instant Pot air fryer.
The air fryer does such a great job at heating frozen foods. I’ve already shown you how to cook frozen sweet potato fries, frozen steak fries, chicken nuggets, tater tots, and taquitos. In this recipe, I show you how to make frozen popcorn chicken in the air fryer.
Popcorn chicken is a term used for small bite-sized pieces of breaded chicken that resemble kernels of popcorn. They’re a great snack especially for a hungry crowd or as an after-school snack.
Serve popcorn chicken with a dipping sauce for an easy party appetizer.
For a more substantial chicken snack, frozen chicken tenders are another option.
Here are some more Air Fryer Recipes you might enjoy:
– Air fryer frozen french fries
– Air fryer cauliflower
– Air fryer frozen potato skins
Tips for Success
Preheat the air fryer if the air fryer doesn’t have a built-in preheat functionality. Some air fryers preheat before starting to count down. e.g. the Instant Pot Duo Crisp and Cosori.
Don’t thaw the popcorn chicken before air frying. Keep it frozen until ready to cook.
Every air fryer will vary. The first time you make this recipe, monitor the popcorn chicken and check on them 2 minutes before the cooking time is up. Adjust the recipe as needed.
Don’t overcrowd the basket. It’s best to place the chicken pieces in one layer, without stacking them so they crisp evenly.
Shake the basket or turn the chicken halfway through air frying.
You don’t need to use any oil in this recipe.
Cook them for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, shaking the basket once at 5 minutes.
Yes, you can use the same timing and temperature to make air fryer popcorn chicken using the Instant Pot air fryer lid, Duo Crisp or Pro Crisp.
I used Foster Farms brand this time but also use Tyson popcorn chicken (Any’tizers). You can use the same timings for any brand. Just keep an eye on the chicken and check on it two minutes before the time’s up.
This recipe was tested using Cosori and Duo Crisp brands of air fryer.
Air fry the chicken for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Yes, the chicken can be reheated by air frying them for 2 to 3 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
It depends on the capacity of your air fryer. You just need to make sure that they’re not packed too tight and are in one layer.
If you need to air fry double the quantity, you can do it in two batches. The second batch may take less time to cook because the air fryer is hot.
How to make frozen popcorn chicken in the air fryer
- Keep popcorn chicken frozen until ready to use
- Preheat air fryer
- Place frozen chicken in the air fryer basket
- Air fry popcorn chicken
See recipe details below
Air Fryer Frozen Popcorn Chicken
- 1/2 bag popcorn chicken or as many as will fit in a row *
Air Fryer Instructions
- Place the empty air fryer basket in the air fryer and preheat at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 5 minutes. **
- Add the frozen popcorn chicken to the air fryer basket.
- Air fry for 10 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit, turning them over with tongs or shaking the basket at the 5 minute mark.
- Transfer the popcorn chicken to a serving platter and serve with a dipping sauce.
- * Foster Farms popcorn chicken was used in this recipe. Nutrition information is for Foster Farms Popcorn Chicken. However the same timings can be used for Tyson Any tizers popcorn chicken.
- Don’t thaw the frozen chicken before air frying.
- ** Preheat the air fryer if the air fryer doesn’t have a built-in preheat functionality.
- Every air fryer will vary. The first time you make this recipe, monitor the popcorn chicken and adjust the air frying time as needed.
Thank you for visiting Paint the Kitchen Red. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don’t use any content without prior written permission. If you’ve made this recipe and would like to share it with your friends, please link back to this recipe. Thank you!
I am not a certified nutritionist. I provide my best estimate of nutritional information merely as a courtesy to my readers. If you depend on nutritional information for dietary or health reasons, I suggest using your favorite online nutrition calculator to confirm the nutritional value of this recipe based on the actual ingredients that you use.
If you loved this recipe, please give it a five ⭐ rating in the comment section below and please share it on social media using the social media share buttons at the top and bottom of this post. Thank you so much!
Another thing to add onto this – what I did tonight was cooked for about 8 minutes and then dumped them into a mixing bowl with your favorite wing sauce, I chose Buffalo Wild Wings Garlic Parmesan…then throw them back in for the last 2 minutes to cook the sauce in. Tasted amazing!
Paint the Kitchen Red
What a great idea – thank you for sharing!
Thank you. Perfect timings.
Paint the Kitchen Red
You’re welcome, Clara – happy to help.