If you’re looking for that last-minute accompaniment to complete your dinner menu and you don’t have a lot of time, this Instant Pot Fried Rice is perfect for you. This pressure cooker rice recipe calls for frozen vegetables and ingredients you probably have on hand and requires minimal prep work. Add some sriracha sauce to give it that extra zing!
This recipe should be called Instant Pot ‘Unfried’ Rice because it’s actually not fried at all. But although it may not be fried, it is quick, easy and very tasty. I make this rice often because more often than not, evenings at my house are super busy and this recipe goes well as a side dish with any kind of cuisine, but especially Asian dishes.
If you want a mostly hands-off Instant Pot recipe with hardly any cleanup, this Instant Pot recipe is for you. If you want an authentic Chinese-style fried rice, I suggest you get out your wok. Stir-frying the rice in the Instant Pot, which I know some recipes do suggest, doesn’t work for me – the rice becomes glutinous and sticky.
Another change from my traditional wok fried rice recipe is that I fry the eggs separately and add to the rice at the end. This avoids the sticky mess that can happen when you fry an egg in the Instant Pot! But the downside is that you do have another pan to clean.
[Also Read: Instant Pot Jasmine Rice and Instant Pot Rice using Pot in Pot Method]
Tips and Substitutions
I like to use Jasmine rice for this Instant Pot fried rice recipe. If you substitute other types of rice, you might need to change the cooking time.
I use frozen peas and carrots for convenience. You can use fresh vegetables if you prefer.
If you’d like to make Instant Pot Fried Rice with Chicken, briefly saute the bite-size chicken pieces (no need to cook through), then proceed with the rest of the recipe as written. And if you wanted to do shrimp fried rice instead, stir-fry the seasoned shrimp at the beginning, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Add back in once the rice is cooked.
I’m partial to cilantro, and like to sprinkle some chopped cilantro on the rice before serving.
To spice up the rice, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of sriracha sauce with the other fried rice sauce ingredients before pressure cooking.
If you’re new to the Instant Pot and aren’t familiar with how to use it, please read the Instant Pot DUO Beginner’s Quick Start Guide or the Instant Pot ULTRA Beginner’s Quick Start Guide first and then come back here to learn how to make this Instant Pot Fried Rice.
Instant Pot Fried Rice Ingredients
How to Make Instant Pot Fried Rice (Step-by-Step Instructions)
- Instant Pot DUO: Select the ‘Saute’ function.
- Instant Pot ULTRA: Select the ‘Saute’ function and press ‘Start’.
- Once the Instant Pot has heated up, add vegetable oil to the Instant Pot inner pot.
- Saute onions till translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Press Cancel. This will allow the Instant Pot to cool down while you do the next steps.
- Saute ginger and garlic for 30 seconds.
- Stir in rinsed Jasmine rice until coated with oil.
- Deglaze inner pot with a tablespoon or two of water if there’s anything stuck to the bottom.
- Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, black pepper, sesame oil, frozen vegetables, and water.
- Stir to mix.
Instant Pot DUO Pressure Cook:
- Close the lid and make sure steam release handle is in ‘Sealing’ position
- Press ‘Manual’ (or ‘Pressure Cook’) and ‘+’ or ‘-‘ until display reads ‘5′ (5 minutes).
Instant Pot ULTRA Pressure Cook:
- Close the lid.
- Select Pressure Cook mode and adjust time to 5 minutes (00:05).
- Press ‘Start’.
- Instant Pot display will change to ‘On’.
- Once the Instant Pot is pressurized, the float valve will go up.
- The display will count down from 5 to 0; it will then switch to ‘Keep Warm’ mode and display ‘L0:00’ or ’00 00′ and begin to count up.
- Wait till the count-up timer reads 00:10 or L0:10 (10 minutes) and release any remaining pressure manually using the Quick Release (QR) method. This is called a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release (NPR).
- The float valve will now be in the down position.
- Press Cancel and Open the Instant Pot.
- Let the Instant Pot Fried Rice rest for a few minutes.
- Break eggs into a medium bowl and beat with a whisk.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 tsp vegetable oil and stir to coat.
- Pour eggs into frying pan allow to set for 30 seconds to a minute.
- Using a silicone spatula, gently break up the eggs and flip until scrambled and cooked through.
- Add eggs to the inner pot.
- Sprinkle with chopped green onions before serving.
- Gently stir the Instant Pot Fried Rice.
Instant Pot Fried Rice
If you're looking for that last minute accompaniment to complete your dinner menu and you don't have a lot of time, this Instant Pot Fried Rice is perfect for you. Quick and easy, the recipe calls for frozen vegetables, Jasmine rice, and ingredients you probably have on hand and requires minimal prep work.
- 1 1/2 cups Jasmine rice
- 4 tsp vegetable oil divided
- 1/2 cup onions finely chopped
- 2 tsp ginger finely minced
- 1 Tbsp garlic finely minced
- 3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups frozen peas and carrots
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3 Tbsp chopped green onions
Select the Saute function and allow the Instant Pot to heat up.
Rinse and drain rice; set aside.
Add 1 Tbsp vegetable oil to the Instant Pot inner pot.
Saute onions till translucent, about 2 minutes, stirring often.
Press Cancel. This will allow the Instant Pot to cool down while you do the next steps.
Saute ginger and garlic for 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
Stir in rinsed Jasmine rice until coated with onion mixture.
Deglaze inner pot with a tablespoon or two of water if there’s anything stuck to the bottom.
Add soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, black pepper, frozen vegetables, and water.
Stir to mix.
Close the lid and pressure cook for 5 minutes.
Let the pressure release naturally (NPR) for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure using the Quick Release (QR) method.
Open the lid and let the Instant Pot Fried Rice rest for a few minutes.
Heat a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat on the stove.
Coat the frying pan with remaining vegetable oil and pour in the eggs.
Scramble the eggs by gently breaking up the eggs and flipping until eggs are set.
Add eggs to the rice.
Add green onions and stir the rice gently to mix together all ingredients.
- Prep time does not include steps that are already accounted for in the ingredient list, e.g. minced garlic, cut vegetables, etc.
- See the blog post for more detailed recipe tips
I am not a certified nutritionist. I provide my best estimate of nutritional information merely as a courtesy to my readers. If you depend on nutritional information for dietary or health reasons, I suggest using your favorite online nutrition calculator to confirm the nutritional value of this recipe based on the actual ingredients that you use.
If you loved this recipe, please give it a 5 Star rating in the comment section below and please share it on social media using the social media share buttons at the top and bottom of this post. Thank you so much!
You might also like to try these Instant Pot Recipes:
|Instant Pot Jasmine Rice||Instant Pot Jambalaya||Instant Pot Panang Curry|