This chicken and bean stew is great recipe for a busy day. There’s nothing like a slow cooker chicken recipe for days when you just don’t have the time to spend in the kitchen. My pet peeve with some slow cooker recipes is the amount of work you have to do BEFORE the food goes into the slow cooker. You might as well just cook it on the stove, which defeats the purpose of a slow cooker. Just sayin’. I like slow cooker recipes that don’t require a lot of prep work. I adapted this recipe from one I found in a Family Circle magazine. For my family, hot sauce on the side was a must.
Chicken and Bean Stew
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 5 boneless skinless chicken thighs cut into 1 1/2 pieces
- 14.5 oz (1 can) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 30 oz. (2 cans) pinto beans (drained and rinsed)
- 15.25 oz. (1 can) white shoepeg corn drained
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- hot sauce to taste
Note: If you have an adblocker, you won't be able to view the video.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic and saute 3 to 4 minutes. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in broth, jalapeno, chile powder, oregano, cumin, and salt. Mash 1 can of the beans and stir in with remaining beans and corn.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 5 hours.
- Stir in lime juice and cilantro. Add hot sauce to taste, or serve on the side.
- Serve over brown rice or with cornbread.
Thank you for visiting Paint the Kitchen Red. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don’t use any content without prior written permission. If you’ve made this recipe and would like to share it with your friends, please link back to this recipe. Thank you!