Canned beans aren’t the only option if you’ve forgotten to or don’t have the time to soak your dried beans before using them in a recipe. You can quick-soak dried beans in the Instant Pot in less than 30 minutes.
Table of Contents
If you’ve always used canned beans for your recipes, there’s a better, healthier way! Use your Instant Pot to cook your dried beans from scratch and you can avoid the sodium and preservatives that come with canned beans.
Most recipes that use dried beans recommend soaking beans overnight. If you’re like me, then it’s possible that you’re not organized enough to soak your dried beans ahead of time!
This is where the Instant Pot pressure cooker comes in so handy. You can quick soak dried beans easily in half an hour. This trick works for me consistently without fail.
TIPS AND SUBSTITUTIONS
I use this method to quick-soak beans for any quantity of beans. I just make sure there’s enough water to cover the beans by about an inch.
I like to soak beans before I pressure cook them because I prefer to drain the soaking water. I feel that the beans are easier to digest when they’ve been soaked and the soaking liquid is discarded.
If you’re new to the Instant Pot and aren’t familiar with how to use it, you might find it helpful to first read one of the following guides and then come back here to learn how to make this recipe.
- Instant Pot DUO Beginner’s Manual
- Instant Pot ULTRA Beginner’s Manual
- Instant Pot DUO EVO PLUS Beginner’s Manual
- Instant Pot DUO NOVA Beginner’s Manual
- Instant Pot DUO GOURMET Beginner’s Manual
- Instant Pot DUO CRISP Beginner’s Manual
Ingredients Required to Quick Soak Beans
How to Soak Beans Quickly using the Instant Pot (Step by Step Instructions)
- Add beans and water
- Pressure cook
- Do a natural pressure release
- Drain the beans
Add Beans and Water
- Put the beans in the Instant Pot and add water about 1-inch above the level of the beans.
Instant Pot Duo Pressure Cook 5 minutes
- Close the lid and make sure steam release handle is in Sealing position
- Press Manual (or Pressure Cook) and + or – until the display reads ‘5′ (5 minutes).
Instant Pot Ultra Pressure Cook 5 minutes
- Close the lid.
- Select Pressure Cook mode and adjust the time to 5 minutes (00:05).
- Press Start.
Pressure Cooking Process (Duo and Ultra)
- Instant Pot display will change to On.
- Once the Instant Pot is pressurized, the float valve will go up.
- The display will count down to 0; it will then switch to Keep Warm mode and display ‘L0:00’ or ’00 00′ and begin to count up the number of minutes since pressure cooking completed.
How to Naturally Release Pressure (NPR) on the DUO and ULTRA
- Allow the pressure to release naturally (NPR). The float valve will be in the down position. This may take 15 to 30 minutes. [Find out more about the pressure release methods and how and when to use them. ]
- Press Cancel and open the Instant Pot.
Drain the Beans
- Drain the beans and use them in any recipe that calls for soaked beans.
How to Quick Soak Dried Beans in the Instant Pot
- 2 cups dried beans
- water (enough to cover 1 inch above beans)
- Place beans in a shallow tray or plate.
- Clean the beans by removing any foreign items like twigs, stones, etc.
- Pour the beans into a bowl and fill with water. Pick out anything that rises to the top.
- Drain the beans into a sieve or colander.
- Pour beans into the Instant Pot inner pot.
- Add water to the beans.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on High Pressure for 5 minutes.
- Do a Natural Pressure Release (NPR) and open the lid. [Read More: The Different Pressure Release Methods]
- Drain the liquid and use the beans in any recipe that calls for soaked beans.
Thank you for visiting Paint the Kitchen Red. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don’t use any content without prior written permission. If you’ve made this recipe and would like to share it with your friends, please link back to this recipe. Thank you!
I am not a certified nutritionist. I provide my best estimate of nutritional information merely as a courtesy to my readers. If you depend on nutritional information for dietary or health reasons, I suggest using your favorite online nutrition calculator to confirm the nutritional value of this recipe based on the actual ingredients that you use.
If you loved this recipe, please give it a five ⭐ rating in the comment section below and please share it on social media using the social media share buttons at the top and bottom of this post. Thank you so much!