Air Fryer frozen hash browns are an easy way to cook crispy hash browns that make an ordinary breakfast extra special. Make diner-style breakfast hashbrowns with very little effort by using your air fryer to make them extra-crispy. Using the air fryer is a quick, no-mess way to make hashbrowns.
Sometimes you just gotta go with the shortcut. When it comes to hashbrowns, I always go with the shortcut by using frozen hashbrowns. Why not have someone else do the shredding for me?!
Ever since I first got my air fryer, I’ve been trying out all kinds of recipes including heating up frozen foods. I prefer using the air fryer rather than the stove to make hash browns because the air fryer does such a great job of crisping up frozen prepared foods.
Tips for Success
Preheat the air fryer if yours doesn’t have a built-in preheat functionality. Some air fryers preheat before starting to count down. e.g. the Instant Pot Duo Crisp. My Cosori has a preheat button that allows me to preheat the air fryer before putting in the food.
Keep the hashbrowns frozen until you’re ready to air fry them. Coat them with oil, salt, and pepper before air frying them. I find that doing this allows the hashbrowns to be seasoned perfectly and thoroughly.
If you find that the hashbrowns are frozen in one big block, you can coat just the surface with the oil and sprinkle the spices on surface before placing the block in the air fryer basket. Once they’ve thawed, stir them up to distribute the spices.
Don’t fill the air fryer basket too high because the potatoes may not cook through. You can air fry up to a whole 20 oz. bag of frozen hashbrowns, unless you have a very large-capacity air fryer. If you need to make a larger quantity, do it in multiple batches. You can reheat the prior batches for 1-2 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit if they cool down too much.
You need to oil the air fryer basket and the potatoes to prevent them from sticking. Spray the air fryer basket with spray oil. Don’t use the nonstick spray in a can. Instead, use an oil mister filled with olive or vegetable oil.
To get them even crispier, spray the hashbrowns with oil when you turn them halfway through.
Every air fryer will vary. The first time you make frozen hash browns in the air fryer, monitor and check on them 2 minutes before the cooking time is up. Adjust the recipe as needed in the future.
Cook them for about 14 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit, shaking them halfway through. Check on them about 12 minutes in, and take them out if you feel that they’re done.
You may not have added enough oil to the basket and the hash browns. Allow them to cook up a bit till they crisp on the bottom and they should come up a bit easier.
I find it best to season the hash browns before air frying because the flavors are absorbed better. I like using just salt and pepper but you could add some garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika too. Make sure your frozen hash browns aren’t pre-seasoned before you add salt.
The hash browns will cook more evenly if you stir them up at the halfway mark. If you’re making a larger quantity, you can even stir them up a couple of times e.g. at 5 minutes and at 10 minutes.
I air fried Simply Potatoes shredded hash browns but there are many brands available. The other popular ones are Ore Ida and Alexia hash browns, which come in a seasoned variety.
Yes, they can be reheated by air frying them for 2 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Air Fryer Frozen Hash Browns Ingredients
Air Fryer Frozen Hash Browns Cooking Instructions
- Keep hash browns frozen until ready to use
- Place frozen hash browns in the air fryer basket
- Air fry hash browns
- Stir or shake them halfway through
- Transfer hash browns to serving platter
See recipe details below
Frozen Hashbrowns in Air Fryer
- Empty the frozen hash browns into a large bowl. Sprinkle salt and pepper on the hash browns and distribute the spices evenly. **
- Add the oil to the potatoes and stir to coat.
- Place the empty air fryer basket in the air fryer and preheat at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for 4 minutes. ***
- Spray the basket with oil spray.
- Air fry for 7 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Use a spatula to stir up the potatoes, and spray with some more oil.
- Air fryer for another 7 minutes, checking on the hashbrowns after about 5 minutes to make sure they're not over-browning.
- Transfer the hash browns to a serving dish.
- * Nutrition information is for Simply Potatoes hash browns.
- Don’t thaw the frozen hash browns before air frying them.
- ** If the hash browns are frozen in one big chunk, coat the surface with oil and spices.
- *** Preheat the air fryer if the air fryer doesn’t have a built-in preheat functionality.
- Every air fryer will vary. The first time you make this recipe, monitor the hash browns and adjust the air frying time as needed.
Thank you for visiting Paint the Kitchen Red. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don’t use any content without prior written permission. If you’ve made this recipe and would like to share it with your friends, please link back to this recipe. Thank you!
I am not a certified nutritionist. I provide my best estimate of nutritional information merely as a courtesy to my readers. If you depend on nutritional information for dietary or health reasons, I suggest using your favorite online nutrition calculator to confirm the nutritional value of this recipe based on the actual ingredients that you use.
If you loved this recipe, please give it a five ⭐ rating in the comment section below and please share it on social media using the social media share buttons at the top and bottom of this post. Thank you so much!