Air fryer frozen mozzarella sticks are great as a quick snack or easy appetizer! Making them in the air fryer results in crunchy, cheesy mozzarella sticks that are crispy on the outside with a gooey melty inside. When you need a quick kid-friendly after school snack, air fryer mozzarella sticks are a great idea.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Please read the disclosure.
After having used an air fryer for a while now, I feel that the air fryer is the best way to heat up frozen foods. You use much less oil than you would deep frying the food, and the food cooks much faster than in the oven.
Air fried food comes out crispier due to the constantly circulating hot air in an enclosed space.
Mozzarella sticks are strips of mozzarella cheese coated with crispy breading. They’re great as an appetizer or a tasty snack, especially when hungry kids get home after school!
Of course, if you have the time, homemade mozzarella sticks would be the best option, but we all get busy and that’s where store-bought mozzarella sticks come in handy.
You can make perfectly crispy mozzarella cheese sticks in the air fryer, from frozen, in less than 10 minutes!
Be sure to check out my post that has all the air fryer cook times, organized by type of food, including frozen foods.
Tips for Making Air Fryer Frozen Mozzarella Sticks
- Until you are ready to cook mozzarella sticks, keep them frozen. There’s no need to thaw the sticks.
- For best results, preheat the air fryer before putting the cheese sticks in.
- Every air fryer will vary. The first time you make this recipe, monitor the mozzarella. Check on it 2 minutes before the cooking time is up. Adjust the recipe as needed.
- All air fryers are different. Basket style air fryers cook faster than oven style. So please keep an eye on the cheese to make sure it doesn’t overcook.
- It’s best to place the frozen mozzarella cheese sticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket, without stacking them. This leaves enough space for the air to circulate. This way, they become evenly crisp.
- Shake the basket halfway through the cooking process. You can also use tongs to flip the mozzarella sticks.
- If you cook frozen mozzarella sticks too long, they can split as the cheese melts. So keep an eye on them at the 5-minute mark to make sure the melted cheese doesn’t ooze out.
- A great way to serve air fryer cheese sticks is with your favorite dipping sauce such as marinara, ranch dressing, or bbq sauce (my favorite marinara sauce is Rao’s).
You don’t need to use any oil in this recipe. I’ve never had the mozzarella sticks get stuck to the bottom. However, if you want them to be extra crunchy, you can lightly spray the mozzarella sticks with olive oil, avocado oil, or vegetable oil spray. Don’t use a canned oil spray but rather, use a spray bottle filled with your choice of oil.
Cook them for about 5-8 minutes at 360 degrees Fahrenheit, shaking the basket once at 3 minutes. In some air fryers, the mozz sticks are ready at 5 minutes, and in others you need to cook them for longer.
I used Farm Rich but also I’ve used Trader Joe. Or you can use different brands from your local grocery store. Just check on them a few minutes before the cooking time is up since each brand can vary slightly.
This recipe was tested using Cosori air fryer.
Air fry them for another 1-2 minutes. Optionally, increase the temp to 400 degrees F.
Some people like gooey mozzarella sticks with cheese oozing out. They split when they are cooked at a higher temperature or for too long. You can either reduce the air fryer temperature or reduce the cooking time.
Yes, leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 to 3 days. Reheat them by air frying them for 2 to 3 minutes at 360 degrees Fahrenheit.
How to Make Frozen Mozzarella Sticks in Air Fryer
- Don’t thaw; keep the mozzarella sticks frozen until ready to use.
- Preheat air fryer.
- Place cheese sticks in the preheated air fryer.
- Air fry.
- Drain the mozzarella on paper towels.
- Serve crispy mozzarella sticks with marinara sauce or your favorite sauce.
Details in the recipe card below ⬇️
Air Fryer Frozen Mozzarella Sticks
Air Fryer Instructions
- Preheat the air fryer for 3 minutes at 360 degrees F.
- Place the frozen mozzarella sticks in a single layer in the air fryer basket, being careful not to pack them in too tight. This allows the air to circulate around the pieces.
- Close the air fryer and air fry frozen cheese sticks for 5 to 8 minutes at 360 °F
- At the halfway mark, open the air fryer and shake the basket to turn the mozzarella sticks, or use a pair of tongs.
- Mozzarella sticks can start splitting when they're overcooking. Take them out before they get to that stage.
- * Farm Rich mozzarella sticks were used in this air fryer recipe. Nutritional information is for Farm Rich, without sauce.
- Every air fryer is different. Check on the cheese 2 minutes before time is up.
- See the blog post for more detailed recipe tips.
Thank you for visiting Paint the Kitchen Red. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don’t use any content without prior written permission. If you’ve made this recipe and would like to share it with your friends, please link back to this recipe. Thank you!
I am not a certified nutritionist. I provide my best estimate of nutritional information merely as a courtesy to my readers. If you depend on nutritional information for dietary or health reasons, I suggest using your favorite online nutrition calculator to confirm the nutritional value of this recipe based on the actual ingredients that you use.
Did you know that the best way to support your favorite bloggers is to comment and rate recipes, and share on social media? If you loved this recipe, please comment and give it a five ⭐ rating in the comment section below. If you’re a pinner, pin this post using the Pin buttons at the top and bottom of this post and in the recipe card above. Thank you for your support!