Once you make this homemade pasta sauce, you’ll never want to go back to jar sauce. I like the fact that this pasta sauce recipe uses whole canned tomatoes, since fresh tomatoes in the winter can be short on flavor. For maximum flavor, don’t overcook the sauce. I love to use this sauce for pasta dishes, pizza and calzones. I have another recipe I will post later that uses fresh tomatoes, when they are in season.
Homemade Pasta Sauce
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in tomatoes (with juice) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, crush the tomatoes until broken up into smaller pieces.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add sugar, basil, crushed red pepper, black pepper and salt.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- If desired, cool sauce and blend lightly to make the sauce a smooth consistency.