Once you make this homemade pasta sauce, you’ll never want to go back to jar sauce. I like the fact that this pasta sauce recipe uses whole canned tomatoes, since fresh tomatoes in the winter can be short on flavor. For maximum flavor, don’t overcook the sauce. I love to use this sauce for pasta dishes, pizza and calzones. I have another recipe I will post later that uses fresh tomatoes, when they are in season.
Homemade Pasta Sauce
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in tomatoes (with juice) and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Using a potato masher, crush the tomatoes until broken up into smaller pieces.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add sugar, basil, crushed red pepper, black pepper and salt.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- If desired, cool sauce and blend lightly to make the sauce a smooth consistency.
Thank you for visiting Paint the Kitchen Red. All photos and content are copyright protected. Please don’t use any content without prior written permission. If you’ve made this recipe and would like to share it with your friends, please link back to this recipe. Thank you!