This easy shrimp pasta recipe is a great choice for when you’re in the mood for Italian food on a weeknight. I came up with this recipe by combining some favorite pasta recipes that I’ve made forever: garlic shrimp, pasta primavera, pasta with broccoli…. And the sum really is greater than the parts. I love Italian food and the saucy, cheesy staples like lasagna, canneloni, manicotti. But sometimes I don’t really want to eat something so heavy and those dishes do require more prep time. So this pasta recipe fits the bill. I also like to add a side salad to make a great and balanced meal. Oh and garlic bread!
So, my cooking has evolved over the years. Early on, I cooked quick and easy meals that had lots of ready-made elements and processed foods. You know! Those recipes with canned mushroom or chicken soups? Don’t get me wrong – I still use convenience foods, but I try to make that a rare occurrence. Once the kids were born, I switched to homemade fresh ingredients and also jumped on the the low-fat bandwagon that we’ve probably all been on. Recently, about 4 years ago, we decided to avoid meats as much as we could. That lasted for about two years. Now I’m where I want to be: cooking homemade dishes, while avoiding processed ingredients, but using meat and fats in moderation. That’s my mantra these days: ‘Everything in moderation.’ I say all this because this pasta recipe has butter! I’ve tried making it with just olive oil, and it’s still good, but the butter really adds a lot of flavor. Hope you like it!
Garlic Shrimp Pasta Ingredients
Garlic Shrimp Pasta Stages of Cooking
Garlic Shrimp Pasta
- 1 lb shrimp - peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 oz spaghetti
- 4 Tbsp olive oil - divided
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1/2 cup sliced bell peppers
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 4 green onions - sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp hot red pepper flakes - or to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped sun dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Season shrimp with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Saute the mushrooms, broccoli and bell peppers. (I prefer to saute each vegetable separately so as not to crowd the pan.) Set aside.
- Melt butter and remaining olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Make sure not to burn the garlic.
- Add the green onions and saute for 1 minute.
- Add shrimp, salt, black pepper and red pepper to the pot. Saute until shrimp turns pink, about 3 minutes.
- Add sun dried tomatoes, pasta, and vegetables and toss carefully till heated through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in parsley, lemon zest, lemon juice.
- Transfer to serving dish, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle Parmesan cheese on