I like this Caribbean stir fry shrimp because it reminds me of Indian Chinese food, which is my favorite kind of Chinese. This is a quick and easy stir-fry. Come to think of it, I think all stir-fries I make are quick and easy. You just have to follow my #1 cooking rule (which I’m guilty of not always following, and that’s when the kitchen looks like a grocery bag exploded in it!): be organized. Once you have everything in place, you can whip up this shrimp stir-fry in no time!
This dish is quick enough to prepare on a week-night. I like to keep a bag of shrimp in my freezer at all times. If I forget to thaw ahead of time, I do a quick thaw by placing the shrimp in a sealed plastic bag and submerging in hot water.
Caribbean Stir Fry Shrimp
- Pat the shrimp dry with a paper towel and set aside.
- Stir together rum, ketchup, soy sauce and crushed red pepper.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, bell pepper and tomatoes, stirring constantly until the onion begins to brown at the edges.
- Add the shrimp and stir-fry until they turn pink, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the sauce mixture and cook, stirring, until the sauce is evenly distributed and heated through.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Serve with noodles or rice.