We were having one of those crazy busy days and I needed to get dinner on the table fast. This Thai Red Curry did the trick and I was able to prepare it in less than 30 minutes. Thai cuisine is one of my favorites. I have tried to cook Thai food at home for years, but it just didn’t compare to the dishes I loved at my favorite restaurants. Finally, I tried to make Thai curry pastes from scratch, with authentic Thai recipes and these were much better; terrific, in fact. However, making the curry pastes was an all-day affair requiring too much work and too many special ingredients.
After a lot of trial and error, I was finally able to come up with some great recipes that are quick, easy and delicious. Looking back on it, I realize that I made a few mistakes in my earlier attempts at cooking Thai curries. Firstly, I was thinning the coconut milk with broth or using lite coconut milk, in order to avoid fat. Secondly, I was using the wrong brand of Thai curry paste and finally, I was serving the curries with Basmati rice or long grain white rice instead of Jasmine rice.
These days, we still love to go out for Thai because my kids like some noodle dishes that I haven’t tried to make at home (like Pad See Ew or Pad Kee Mow) but more often than not, we eat Thai dishes right in our home and they’re delicious! And the best part is that they can be made in no time at all. If you like your curries on the sweet side, add an extra teaspoon of sugar. And you’ll just have to trust me on this – use Maesri brand curry paste because it makes all the difference. It’s spicier than other brands like Thai Kitchen, so reduce the quantity of paste if necessary. I find this recipe, as written, makes a curry that’s not too spicy as far as Thai food goes. Let me know how you fare with this recipe for Thai red curry pork!
Thai Red Curry with Pork
A coconut milk-based Thai red curry that is quick, easy, and delicious. Serve with Jasmine rice to make a satisfying meal.
- 2 oz (1/2 can) Maesri brand red curry paste
- 1 14-oz can regular coconut milk (not Lite)
- 1 lb pork tenderloin, sliced into thin bite-size pieces
- 1 Tbsp fish sauce, more to taste
- 1 tsp brown sugar (or to taste)
- 2 Kaffir lime leaves or 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 cup sliced canned bamboo shoots
- 2 Tbsp Thai basil, julienned
- Heat red curry paste and 1/2 can of coconut milk in a medium saucepan until boiling. Stir and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add pork and remaining coconut milk and cook for 5 minutes, until tender.
- Stir in fish sauce, brown sugar and kaffir lime leaves or lime juice.
- Add bell peppers and bamboo shoots and cook for another 3 minutes until crisp tender.
- Taste and adjust with more fish sauce, brown sugar or lime juice.
- Sprinkle with basil and serve with Jasmine rice.
Try and get Maesri brand of curry paste, which is just better than the other brands! It's available online or at an Asian foods stores.
Courses Main Dish